The beginning of existence of the enterprise dates back to 1945. At that time, the Steel Surface Repair Works were created upon the decree of the director of Polish Railways in Kraków (Dyrektor Kolei Państwowych w Krakowie), covering the entire area of the contemporary locomotive shed in Prokocim, a district of Kraków. A few months later, the works were named the Railway Workshop.
In 1946, with moving to the present location, the enterprise received the name of Railways Surface Works in Bieżanów, which has remained to the present day with little change.
In the first years of operation the enterprise was chiefly preoccupied with regeneration of turnouts and turnout elements as well as reconstruction of engineering objects destroyed during the Second World War – bridges and railway bridges. It also produced bridge girders.
In the mid-fifties in the 20-th century a unification of the range of products was performed. The works mainlyproduced standard track turnouts made from S42 and S49 rails as well as narrow-gauge turnouts for PKP Polish Railways and the mining industry. The enterprise also performed regeneration of turnouts and turnout subassemblies and welding of CWR – continuous welded rails. Bridge elements were still within the scope of manufacturing.
In the seventies of the previous century, the works specialised in elements of turnouts, gradually resigning from production of steel bridge constructions.
In the next decade of the 20-th century, the thorough modernisation of the workshop was performed at the plant in Bieżanów. The existing machines were modernised, and additional ones were installed. This allowed for rapid increase the quality of manufactured products and the introduction of completely new construction solutions.
In this period, production of turnouts made from UIC 60 rails and adapted to speeds of 160 km/h was begun.